Front rooms renovation, day nineteen

I’m sitting in my living room while I write this. On my couch. Without the plastic.

I have reclaimed my living space!

Which, as you can probably guess, means the painting is finally finished. It took me two days of work to get the sizable front rooms dolled up and then another day to clean up and mostly put back together. Some of the pieces don’t fit and some pieces are missing, but this puzzle looks so much better.

Here’s a quick reminder of how these two rooms, living room and dining room respectively, looked when I first moved in.

Soak that in for a moment. Hole in the ceiling. Popcorn flaking down. Bird’s nest on an already hideous ceiling fan. Bad curtains. Dirty doors and baseboards. Faded (and horribly painted) peach walls. You can’t tell in these photos, but the master bedroom door is also the peach color that I’ve come to despise.

Now time for the painting reveal. We still don’t have the light fixtures up and our furniture and decorations need some love, but it goes without saying that there’s already considerable improvement.

This paint has made all the difference in the world to this old house! Brightened baseboards and doors. Brighter rooms. Accent wall to tie the separate rooms together rather than clumping them into one. Plus, I love my simple white curtains…which are just flat sheets from Walmart. Eventually, I’ll be adding an accent color around them but I’m still working on that.

If you have any questions about my renovations so far, please leave a comment!

Front rooms renovation, day sixteen

It took me three days — three days — to finish painting the trim, windows, and doors in the front rooms. Then, it took a mere three hours or less to prime the walls.

No, the priming isn’t perfect and no, it wasn’t easy to get pictures of the rooms with everything piled up in the middle.

However, I can rest easy tonight knowing that I’ve gotten this much done and tomorrow (unless something more important comes up) I’ll finally be able to put the colors up on the walls. After all this time anxiously waiting, it’s actually going to happen. I have a bit more work to do following that before the front rooms are actually “finished”, but it’s too huge of a milestone for me not to be proud of.

The best part of what I’ve gotten done so far is repainting that old gentleman of a door. He looks so nice all dressed up, doesn’t he? It took me three coats of paint on the interior and two on the exterior. I left it at two for the outer part so it’d retain a bit of a weather-worn look, similar to the rest of the outside of the house.

dsc_0032

Looking ahead — far, far ahead — I found a nice little surprise while I was painting the guest room door. I lifted the edge of the carpet under the door (it was already torn from the floor a bit, presumably from the same dog who scratched up three of the doors, stained the hardwood with urine, and chewed up a windowsill) and found that there is, in fact, hardwood underneath! Time for me to begin researching how to remove carpets!

snapchat-1326414261

In the meantime, I’m really hoping I can get someone in who knows how to fix the issues that have been caused by the new ceiling. I was so excited when I first realized that the Ceiling Guy was going to simply slap a new ceiling over the the old one because it would cut down on construction time by a lot. However, an issue that I didn’t expect (because I simply don’t know about this stuff and am learning as I go along) is that the vent inserts and light inserts are now so far inset into the ceiling that I’m currently stuck staring and the holes and unsure what to do. I have a few different options on how to proceed, but I’m tracking down an expert opinion first.

But Ceiling Guy, you kind of screwed me.