I saw this video and was immediately inspired. The recipe they used is very complex, even for a bread recipe. I decided that I would simplify it and altered an artisan bread recipe that my mom taught me. Use the pictures and explanations in the video to figure out how to get the correct shape, because I haven’t had a chance to take step-by-step pictures.
Dragon Tail Bread
- 3/4 tsp yeast
- 3/4 tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 1/2 c warm water
- 3 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp fire salts
- 2 parts sea salt
- 1 part paprika
- 1 part red pepper
- 1 part garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp fire salts
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Mix water, yeast, and pink salt and stir well. Add fire salts and flour and stir until dough is evenly moist.
- Cover with towel and let rise in a warm spot for at least 2 hours.
- Dump dough onto a very well floured surface and roll into a log. Transfer onto parchment paper and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place cookie sheet on the bottom rack.
- Use clean scissors to cut angled slices deep into the bread. Flip the cut dough out so the peak is overlapping the top of the bread. Egg wash lightly to finish.
- Once the bread is in the oven, pour about 2 cups of water into the cookie sheet and close the door.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until well browned.
See what I did there with the fire salts? Not only do they add a little heat to the dragon tail bread, but they’re also steeped in videogame lore. There aren’t many gamers who realize that fire salts are a legitimate culinary ingredient, however.
+10 to cooking!